|

Advice Needed

Hello Everyone,

First and Foremost I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. 

Now to give a brief introduction about myself, I am 24 years old with a BA in Business from College of Mount Saint Vincent. A bit after graduating i got myself a job at a healthcare company working in accounts payable and then eventually moved up to Accounting Operations & Treasury. In my current role i deal with a lot of bank reconciliations, cash flow forecasting, collection forecasting and a bunch of small analysis projects that get thrown at me here and there when the analysts or anyone else in the team needs help in tough times. I am also currently attempting to take Level 1 in June. The reason why i am doing it is because i think & also i have been told that will open more doors for me. I am also a bit tired of my current position as i feel i am trapped here for a while and cannot move any higher . At this point it feels like this is a dead end job. A lot of promises but barely any of these promises are kept and hard work is not really recognized that much. Do you guys recommend it for me to stick with the plan and take level 1 and after passing it, hopefully i will be able to market myself a bit better and eventually if i do get a job which from everything that i read online is a big IF, keep developing the skills from there to hopefully someday get a financial analyst job at a boutique shop or private equity? Or since i have a bit of programming knowledge, do you guys suggest that i go through the full stack web development route? ( a bit of a better work-life balance from what i hear and also good pay)  Sorry for all the questions but i am in a really tough spot now and any advice given to me would be appreciated. Please be honest, even if the truth hurts, it is what it is. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!

Save 15% plus free shipping on Wiley 2017 and 2018 courses before August 31. Bite-Sized Lessons, Video Lectures, Mocks, & More.

The best you can do is focus on incremental steps. You can’t instantly jump into a $500k job in VC (like some people here seem to believe). However, you can do small things to improve your job market appeal and move to slightly better positions over time. Taking CFA won’t open doors for you by itself, but it will improve your marketability by a small amount. From there, keep searching and networking for jobs that are related to your position, but are more attractive to you for whatever reason.

One thing that can change your career outlook is getting into a top shelf graduate program like MBA. However, once again, you’d need to be realistic about your prospects and weight the quality of the programs within your reach to your direct career opportunities.

In addition, find a career mentor or someone who can provide you with advice and review your resume, before and during your job search. Even if you’re not looking at a specific opportunity at the moment, it is good to have a general, well edited resume on hand.

“Visit the Water Cooler forum on Analyst Forum. It is the best forum.”
- Everyone

Thanks for you input.