FRM Exam Advice for Saturday
Guys, good luck on Saturday!
Here’s some advice (especially for those writing Part I) based on my own FRM exam experience:
1) You don’t need to arrive at the test center a full hour early; half-an-hour is adequate. *HOWEVER*, they actually WILL lock you out if you’re not there 15 minutes before the start time.
2) Bring a watch to the exam. You really need to keep an eye on your time, and there may be no clock in the room.
3) The answer sheet uses a stupid carbon copy system that no-one has told you about. Don’t let this throw you, just follow the instructions, and keep in mind that you can’t erase your answer in the conventional way.
4) Don’t panic! There will be some questions that almost no candidate can solve: GARP writes a hard exam. You can get 30%+ of the questions wrong and still pass.
5) Work fast and don’t get bogged down. For FRM1, you need to maintain a pace of 25 questions per hour.
6) Check your progress either every 25 questions or every hour. If the first 25 questions take more than an hour, you are moving too slow.
7) Take snacks and drinks. Put the snacks in your pocket for your break. (I recommend fig newtons and Mountain Dew.)
8) Take a break halfway through the exam; 4 hours is too long to sit. Eat your snack and drink your drink on the way to the bathroom.
9) DON’T wait until the last few minutes to fill in all your answers on the bubble sheet.
10) And stop writing when they say stop. Don’t be that guy.
GOOD LUCK !