|

Republican Tax Plan

The discussion i was having was fairly theoretical & in the future (obviously not in my lifetime) - obviously not happening with current technology. But at a certain point automation will be able to provide a high standard of living and it will become a serious discussion

'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. And a donut with no hole, is a danish'

JBrowntown wrote:

krnyc2008 wrote:

Yayyywork wrote:

Nerdyblop wrote:

if they ever removed the 401k tax deduction. i totally would never save. lol

yea.. first 401k’s are used by corps to gut pensions, next they will gut 401ks and youll have people who work til they day they die (which will likely be a younger age due to lack of access to healthcare) this country is awesome lmao

It’s kind of crazy people need to be incentivized to save for their own future 

Yup.  Thaler describes it in his book.  https://amazon.com/Misbehaving-Behavioral-Economics-Richard-Thaler/dp/039335279X

Funny you mentioned - it’s in my library que :) And congrats to him on the Nobel btw!

Nerdyblop wrote:

solution is ubi, just tax the rich more. i honestly cant wait for the day when i dont have to work. lol

we are already in an unannounced ubi world. i bet most corporations could cut 50%+ of their staffs and still survive and the remaining workers are truly doing work that is meaningless. 

ive been saying this since i graduated uni and came into the “real world”, most service jobs are facades to keep the masses busy. 

Yayyywork wrote:

ltj wrote:

Snark aside, what the heck is wrong with this?  Working blows.

Especially pointless work like finance

dude we are the masters of the universe - without us life will cease to exists haha

Rofl yea. Some people literally just say hello in wal mart and Costco. 

I love my cheese. I got to have my cheddar.

Best “easy to read” analysis I have seen of the TCJA..  

https://kitces.com/blog/tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-2018-house-gop-tax-ref...

82 > 87
Simple math.

good find greenman. what are thoughts on the roth conversion legislation

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

Didn’t dive into that too much. 

Roth conversions are really awesome on paper. Haven’t found them very useful in practice. 

82 > 87
Simple math.

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

I dislike how people say capitalism naturally results in income inequality. What prior system didn’t have vast differences between the aristocratic class and the common workers? I think sometimes people only fixate on the flaws of a system and forget to take a holistic look at what life would be like without that system. Trying to constantly fix the flaws creates more complex systems with more flaws that then need to be fixed lol 

No automatic alt text available.

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

Haha I saw that the other day and spit out what I was drinking.  Paul Ryan is legitimately evil.  “Cindy can start saving for her future”.  Are you freaking kidding me dude.

rawraw wrote:

I dislike how people say capitalism naturally results in income inequality. What prior system didn’t have vast differences between the aristocratic class and the common workers? I think sometimes people only fixate on the flaws of a system and forget to take a holistic look at what life would be like without that system. Trying to constantly fix the flaws creates more complex systems with more flaws that then need to be fixed lol 

disagree entirely. No one is saying prior systems didnt create inequality, but that doesnt mean pointing out the current one does as well a silly point. How are you supposed to tweak & change any system if you can not at least discuss its pitfalls? I dont much care for the idea we should just be thankful for what we have any not have discussions about it since some think its taboo to discuss for one reason or another.

Everything you have said is just status quo talking points that fail to attempt to solve any problems. It would be one of the most naive statements ever made to assume capitalism is the most perfect system that could ever exist. It would be as foolish as believing the same about communism. The idea that trying to fix a flaw always creates more flaws, is also completely flawed and not based on truth and is 100% how you feel. 

Just because a system did work, and was right, does not mean it IS right and will be right in the future as societies evolve and the production of what is needed to survive is ultimately fully automated.

'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. And a donut with no hole, is a danish'

Yayyywork wrote:

Just because a system did work, and was right, does not mean it IS right and will be right in the future as societies evolve and the production of what is needed to survive is ultimately fully automated.

Needed to survive: air, food, water, sleep.

Think we got that covered by now.

igor555 wrote:

No automatic alt text available.

This reminds me of The Life of Julia. Can anybody find a link to that gem?  

82 > 87
Simple math.

Hoping Trump’s recent endorsement of a child predator is a sign that they don’t have the votes in the Senate to pass this crap.  Maybe my taxes won’t go up after all…

frankybarnes wrote:

Yayyywork wrote:

Just because a system did work, and was right, does not mean it IS right and will be right in the future as societies evolve and the production of what is needed to survive is ultimately fully automated.

Needed to survive: air, food, water, sleep.

Think we got that covered by now.

not in plenty of areas of the world… and it still requires quite a bit of manual labor even in advanced societies. Its almost like you picked out a part of a statement and ignored the rest of it. I bolded the key part of the statement. 

'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. And a donut with no hole, is a danish'

Yayyywork wrote:

rawraw wrote:

I dislike how people say capitalism naturally results in income inequality. What prior system didn’t have vast differences between the aristocratic class and the common workers? I think sometimes people only fixate on the flaws of a system and forget to take a holistic look at what life would be like without that system. Trying to constantly fix the flaws creates more complex systems with more flaws that then need to be fixed lol 

disagree entirely. No one is saying prior systems didnt create inequality, but that doesnt mean pointing out the current one does as well a silly point. How are you supposed to tweak & change any system if you can not at least discuss its pitfalls? I dont much care for the idea we should just be thankful for what we have any not have discussions about it since some think its taboo to discuss for one reason or another.

Everything you have said is just status quo talking points that fail to attempt to solve any problems. It would be one of the most naive statements ever made to assume capitalism is the most perfect system that could ever exist. It would be as foolish as believing the same about communism. The idea that trying to fix a flaw always creates more flaws, is also completely flawed and not based on truth and is 100% how you feel. 

Just because a system did work, and was right, does not mean it IS right and will be right in the future as societies evolve and the production of what is needed to survive is ultimately fully automated.

If it inevitability produces income inequality, why is the line bumpy and changes trends throughout history? My suspicion is you have too much hubris in understanding how the economy works. This makes you too quick to think you know the way to fix it. I know I have close to zero idea how the complex system works, so as a result I’m more confident that a well designed system will produce a better outcome. And well designed systems are simple. So I’m not for status quo, I am for a less complex system. 

They are creating ai to create ai. At some point even those high skilled will be replaced by higher skilled robots. How would you feel if said robots decide they shouldn’t provide ubi to us humans!

I love my cheese. I got to have my cheddar.

Also, Bloomberg News’ Steve Matthews reports that a survey of economists by the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business – a poll that includes Republicans, Democrats and independents – found just one of 38 respondents agreed that, a decade from now, GDP would be substantially higher from tax cuts than under the status quo; 39 percent were uncertain and 58 percent disagreed.

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

Not even republican voters want this.  

What a joke.

The super rich Republicans want it.  Everyone else either hates it or is in different because it won’t have an impact on them. 

it does simplify tax code.

i think it lowers taxes and help most people, but ****s maybe top 15%, excluding the top 1%. that state tax thoughh amiriteeee.

but it really does increase the budget deficit, which i thought was a major concern for republicans. lol

I love my cheese. I got to have my cheddar.

The benefits for the bottom 75% are insignificant window dressing, the next 14% get a tax hike, and the top 1% get a fat bonus check. It’s a shame because they’re really does need to be business tax reform. 

trickle up?

wonder what started in the 80s…

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

igor555 wrote:

wonder what started in the 80s…

It’s corporatism, starting in the 70s, but exploding in the 80s, and continuing to present. Ronnie to Obama, a massive expansion of corporate power, and the corporate-government complex. 

https://cnbc.com/2017/09/28/gary-cohn-says-1000-in-tax-savings-can-b...

Ryan’s slide is not even close to this claim by COHN.

any thoughts on this disaster?

dont think anyone here cares about the middle class or the poor or their future or cutting ss and/or medicare.

im just upset about drilling in the alaskan refuge, thats a big NO

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP